Mission: To create wilderness education and exploration experiences that develop critical behaviors needed for disadvantaged students to achieve success in school and life.
Fellowship Term: September 1, 2016 – May 31, 2017 (with the ability to attend summer program)
Job Summary: The Communications and Marketing Fellow will help to implement communications and marketing strategies through print and electronic materials with a strong focus on social media. Administration includes content strategy, developing brand awareness, blogging, generating inbound traffic and relationship cultivation. He or She will also serve as a Club Leader teaching TWP’s school-based club curriculum which includes projects related to outdoor skills, environmental studies and leadership training. Students learn everything from “Leave No Trace” principles to how to work as a team to conquer everyday challenges. Fellows are also responsible for helping to lead overnight weekend trips in the fall and spring with additional responsibilities; such as alumni and volunteer relations. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated have strong communication and social media skills, previous experience with and a desire for working with youth, a passion for the outdoors and will be a team player.
Compensation: Monthly stipend of $1,750 and eligibility to receive a $4,000 education award to apply towards a student loan payment or towards future tuition upon successful completion of the fellowship.
- Assist Operations Director in developing print and electronic materials including quarterly newsletters, annual reports, marketing/collateral materials and electronic communications including TWP website and new media.
- Serve as a spokesperson with interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Prioritize media/marketing opportunities in conjunction with Senior Staff and prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage relationships to ensure coverage surrounding TWP programs, special events, public announcements and other projects.
Club and Weekend Responsibilities:
- Club instructor utilizing TWP approved curriculum at school partner weekly club programs comprised of approximately 20 high school students.
- Recruit, build and maintain a mentor relationship with students.
- Collaborate on curriculum development to improve current lesson plans and create new ones to further TWP’s mission.
- Engage students in local service/stewardship projects during club.
- Introduce students to outdoor/environmental knowledge and life and leadership skills; and any unique expertise or skills that an instructor brings to the table.
- Promote TWP weekend and summer trips at schools to recruit new students.
- Take part in leadership of at least three weekend events in both spring and fall.
- Oversee logistics of weekend events.
- Assist with all TWP events, including fundraising and student centered events.
- Develop strong relationships through frequent meetings with school leaders.
- Insure that school partnerships proceed smoothly. Assist school’s leader with paperwork and trip sign-up.
- Coordinate effectively with other TWP personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Knowledge of and interest in outdoor education and character development.
- Experience working with youth as a mentor.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be a self-starter and able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Passionate about the TWP mission and excited about participating in overnight weekend trips
To apply, send cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.