Mission: To create wilderness education and exploration experiences that develop critical behaviors needed for disadvantaged students to achieve success in school and life.
Fellowship Term: September 1, 2016 – May 31, 2017 (with the ability to attend summer program)
Job Summary: The Volunteer and Alumni Relations Fellow will implement TWP’s year-round school-based club program. He or she will serve as the primary representative of The Woods Project at these schools and teach weekly clubs which promote a bigger vision of the world. Club curriculum includes projects related to outdoor skills, environmental studies and leadership training. Students learn everything from “Leave No Trace” principles to how to work as a team to conquer everyday challenges. Fellows are also responsible for helping to lead overnight weekend trips in the fall and spring with additional responsibilities including: communication, social media as well as volunteer and alumni relations. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, previous experience with and a desire for working with youth, a passion for the outdoors and will be a team player.
Compensation: Monthly stipend of $1,750 and eligibility to receive a $4,000 education award to apply towards a student loan payment or towards future tuition upon successful completion of the fellowship.
Club and Weekend Responsibilities:
- Club instructor utilizing TWP approved curriculum at school partner weekly club programs comprised of approximately 20 high school students.
- Recruit, build and maintain a mentor relationship with students.
- Collaborate on curriculum development to improve current lesson plans and create new ones to further TWP’s mission.
- Engage students in local service/stewardship projects during club.
- Introduce students to outdoor/environmental knowledge and life and leadership skills; and any unique expertise or skills that an instructor brings to the table.
- Promote TWP weekend and summer trips at schools to recruit new students.
- Take part in leadership of at least three weekend events in both spring and fall.
- Oversee logistics of weekend events.
Volunteer and Alumni Engagement Responsibilities:
- Maintain and deepen alumni relationships with alumni.
- Create and facilitate a Young Professionals Alumni Group.
- Involve alumni in new and meaningful ways.
- Develop and maintain relationships with TWP volunteers in order to increase volunteer engagement.
- Update and improve volunteer orientation materials.
- Recruit volunteers for specific events and activities appropriate for their skillsets.
- Maintain database of volunteers.
- Assist with all TWP events, including fundraising and student centered events.
- Develop strong relationships through frequent meetings with school leaders.
- Insure that school partnerships proceed smoothly. Assist school’s leader with paperwork and trip sign-up.
- Coordinate effectively with other TWP personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Knowledge of and interest in outdoor education and character development.
- Experience working with youth as a mentor.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter and able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Passionate about the TWP mission and excited about participating in overnight weekend trips.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Volunteer and Alumni Relations” in the subject line.